Sunday, February 21, 2010

Beets? For real??

So anyone who knows me well knows there are two things I don't care to eat - beets and raw oysters. If a Greek salad gets delivered and they accidentally put on beets, back to the kitchen it goes. And if they dare try to take off the beets and bring the salad back with red juice on the feta cheese, back to the kitchen it goes. Recently, I was teased by a waiter who brought me roasted beet and goat cheese salad without the beets, as ordered. "Here's your beet salad without the beets" he said with a smile. I can't help it. I just don't like beets. I haven't liked them since I was a little girl. Regardless of the myriad ways my sister Phyllis has made them over the intervening years, the mere thought of them makes me shiver. Until last week....

We had a snow day last week and the campus and restaurants were closing at 12 noon. Of course the morning students had already been cooking since early and the American Bounty restaurant, second only to Escoffier for fine dining on campus, had lots of cancellations of course. An email was sent to Department Heads inviting us to make a reservation and come down for a complimentary lunch, so the students would have an adequate educational experience. Now, do you think they had to ask me twice?! I tried to find a colleague to accompany me, but many hadn't even come in that day (they don't know how to drive in snow, but that's another story), or they wanted to get on the road early to get home before the big snow. (The big storm that wasn't....)

No big deal, I'm used to eating alone, so down I went. We were to order three courses, so I perused the menu looking for things without dairy and minimal gluten. I've discovered goat cheese is tolerable to my system so I'm always on the lookout for that because I so miss my cheese. First course, mussells. Absolutely fabulous - cooked perfectly, lovely broth. Second course, oh oh. There's that roasted beet and goat cheese salad again, with arugula and blood oranges. Well, I can flick the beets off right? I don't like to give the students special instructions as I know they're working to a very specific recipe so I figured I could alter the dish after I received it and no one would be the wiser.

Well, I was absolutely delighted with the presentation of the "salad" but it didn't look like anything I've had before. I couldn't figure out where the beets were, as all I could see were four little one inch square napoleans sitting atop little mounds of arugula with blood orange slices between the stacks and a crushed pistachio and chive oil drizzle around the edge of the plate, an oblong affair that was perfectly suited to the dish. So where were the beets? Turns out those little napoleans were perfectly sliced roasted beets - but not the red variety, they were golden, and the goat cheese was herbed and put between the layers. Couldn't very well flick the beets away.... So, I took a bite, and oh my goodness, it was wonderful. A little bite of the arugula dressed perfectly, a little bite of blood orange dipped in the pistachios and chive oil. Goodness gracious, I liked it! Good thing I have good manners or I would have been licking that plate. Third course, cioppino - fish stew. Fabulous. But I knew I'd be dreaming about that salad. How could that be??

Yesterday, I was walking around downtown Rhinebeck, my new home town (but that's another story?) and happened upon an interesting looking restaurant. Ready for a break and armed with plenty of reading material about the surrounding area and goings on, I sat down and started perusing the menu. So there again we have roasted beets and goat cheese, this time in a risotto. Dare I try it? Dare I push my luck with beets? What the heck! Why not!! I ordered a glass of sauvignon blanc and waited for the surprise. My heart sunk when I saw the pink in the risotto. I wondered if this was going to be that old familiar flavor that I'd come to hate. So I gingerly took a small bite, with no beet cube in it and the flavor was quite good. Ok, I thought, time to taste the beets. Not bad, got a bit of pancetta with it. It wasn't too strong. Took another bite of risotto with a few beet cubes. OK, let's not get carried away. Let's just eat mostly risotto and a few beet cubes but leave most of them behind. So I probably ate half of what was on the plate. Honestly, I enjoyed the dish. Am I going to start ordering beets every time I see them on the menu? No, but if they're fresh roasted I just might.

Now, can anyone tell me why the beets in the salad were golden and not red?? Well, I guess it's down to raw oysters now. As if it wasn't hard enough watching my weight, now I'm only down to one thing I don't like to eat. Darn. :-)

Ciao for now!

6 comments:

  1. I DO I Like Them Sam I Am. You are so funny. I'm really so grateful for all of the luxurious hours we have spent telling our stories over a lovely meal, such that when I read your bloggy blog I can conjure up your voice, facial expression, the way you use your hands to recreate the shape and essence of whatever it is you are talking about in the air in front of you... Love Love

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love beets! I always ask for extra on my Greek salad. You can share your beets with me anytime.
    Beets are very nutritious too. I'm glad you discovered they can be tasty.
    I enjoy your posts. You have a flair with descriptions & writing juicy details. I'm hungry now. Lots of Love & Peace, Colleen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lisa cracked me up with the "Sam I am" quote - fits your story perfectly. I also love roasted beets... just got some to roast at the grocery yesterday. Always buy them with the beautiful leaves... I love to eat the leaves like a spinach with a quick saute.

    Pull on your big girl panties and go for the raw oysters. Take a shot glass, a large dollop of cocktail sauce, pluck in an oyster, screw up your face and do a oyster shot. You ARE on a college campus and this is the CIA equivalent of swallowing live goldfish. Just make sure it is a high quality cocktail sauce.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Vincenza... Chris has been sending me your blog. Great stuff. I'm enjoying reading about your experiences. I know Rhinebeck...even have a friend who lives there on Old Quarry Road. It's a great place and of course has all the history of the Hudson to go along with it. Gutsy move to go to NY. Successo, Vincenzo Bozzone

    ReplyDelete
  5. Genza- I just love your blog, makes me not miss you and everyone in Michigan so much! As your friends say, I can hear your voice through every entry. You have such a gift in your story telling.
    Funny how much people can get something into their head that they hate, maybe based on a bad remembered experience, and then it takes on a life of its own. I think Ken is like that around his onions, and I suppose I am that way around yellow mustard (YUK with a capital Y). Glad that you at least had a fun experience trying new things and it broadened your views. New places are wonderful in helping us do that - break out of our pre-set molds and try something new. Our lives are not perfect or set in stone. They aren't that solid or hard. We need to mold to the new experiences and it changes us sometimes. Same thing with the house hunting and husband hunting. You keep looking to find something perfect, but perfect is incredibly hard to find, so we find 'mostly perfect' or 'pretty darn good' and then we find out later that maybe the 'pretty darn good' was actually our perfect all along (feel that way about our house on Glenway, which was 2nd choice on both my and Ken's list). Home isn't the building, it's what you do to it inside - and you have a wonderful touch to make things your own. The husband is a whole other matter - can't help you there:-)

    Missed you lots at the kids' bday party this weekend - after making 15 pounds of homemade pasta our house is truly broken in now (it may take months to get the flour out of the corners).

    hugs and kisses

    Dawn

    ReplyDelete