Tuesday, March 16, 2010

It's Official - Almost

Been too long...it's amazing how time gets away. Tax day will be here before we know it. Yikes, better get started on that soon! In the meantime...

I've moved into a condo in beautiful Rhinebeck - the nicest town on both sides of the river. The place became available when the current tenants broke the lease because of a family emergency. I didn't wait too long to put in a bid as it was clearly desirable space, except for the endless sea of light blue carpeting. Blue never was my color but maybe a few strategically placed area rugs?

My furniture fits beautifully - I actually have more space than in Michigan. And I have an attached garage and a working fireplace and room for my dining room set. Looking at that vision list, it was check, check, and check. It's costing a little more than I wanted to pay, but I think it's worth it in location, convenience, and clean and spacious surroundings.

My friend Joanne came from Michigan and helped me unpack and hang curtains and change light fixtures. She also helped me hang my prized possessions - my antique Shakespeare engravings and my Hibel print. It was wonderful to have her here and I'm grateful for the time, effort and money she spent to get here! We did manage to have a little fun while she was here - two trips to The Culinary for dinner one night and a dessert fantasia the second. Can you just imagine a 3 hour dessert feast. Four courses with "intermezzo" delights in between. My goodness!

Finally got internet service and a phone number and got the printer set up on Sunday. On Monday I went to the Social Security Administration because you have to have an actual SS card to apply for a drivers license here. Didn't matter that I had a U. S. Passport and a DL from Michigan.... However I did get my new license plates for the car - New York plates. I need to get the car inspected though - another thing you have to do in New York every year to renew plates. That's why it's only "almost" official - still need that inspection and a drivers license. Hopefully, in a few more weeks....

The actual move-in day was pretty uneventful. The truck arrived at 8 a.m. and of course I had coffee, juice and bagels for the movers. Mother would have been proud - I had enough for an army, even though there were only 2 of them. Also had sandwiches, fruit and cookies for lunch. Didn't want them to run out of energy too soon. The furniture came off first so I was directing traffic to first floor and second floor rooms. I managed to keep up with them for a while, unpacking select boxes to find rugs, towels, sheets, lamps, etc. After a few hours I fell hopelessly behind and realized there was no keeping up any longer. It would be days, probably weeks, before I could get it all unpacked. Thank goodness Joanne came the next day.

There were some damaged items but not too many. Some things were so carefully packed - took forever to unwrap them. Then there was the lampshade that was completely crushed. Easy to replace I guess. I'm happy to report the wine arrived unharmed as did the Waterford and Lalique crystal. Joanne made sure everything was back in the china cabinet where it belonged!

Sunday I went grocery shopping and filled the pantry and fridge. I made a pot of soup and put some containers in the freezer. Now it's really starting to feel like home. Still eating like a queen at work, but I'm happy to report that when the scale was unwrapped and I finally decided to go ahead and step on it - I hadn't gained one pound!! I'm sure it's all the walking and stairs at work, plus the three nights a week with a personal trainer. I've gone from being practically immobile working from a home for two years to being very active. Feels really good too.

I still need to write thank you notes - when will Emily Post say I've passed the limits of good taste? 3 months? Oh, dear, it's getting close. Well, guess I'll do thank you notes and change of address cards at the same time. When I finally unpacked the office Sunday and found the stationary and stamps I knew I was running out of excuses! The books are unpacked on the bookshelves - all 16 boxes of them, except for the 4 going to the office. So eager to unpack my leadership library and get cracking!

I did my first training workshop last week - meeting management for the top 70 leaders in the organization. Had to put it together from memory and the internet since I didn't have my books unpacked yet. Went over very well - lots of positive feedback - felt great to be back in front of the room and facilitating discussions. I also have 3 coaching "clients" and am working with one of the Dean's on some process improvement initiatives. Working on the budget - that's giving everyone sticker shock. They've gone from no training to a long list of things I'd like to try to accomplish. What I'm requesting is a drop in the bucket but anything is more than they had last year!

Enough for now. I unpacked the stereo last night so I think I'll listen to a little music before hitting the sack. It's good to be "home."

Ciao for now!

With much affection...
Genz

5 comments:

  1. Ahhhh. Feels so good to picture you with wine and song. Love to see some pictures if you find the camera. AND how wonderful to not have gained a pound working where you do! Fireplace WOO HOO! Is this a different place than the condo you found right after the other space 'got away?'

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Darling,
    You know it was such a privilage to come out and help - I love a project. It does me good to be able to visualize you in your new surroundings; home, village, the college. Just sorry we did not end up visiting your office and exploring the buildings a bit - next time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Vincenza. I am so very happy for you. It sounds heavenly. A big part of that is your attitude and loveliness about all things. You are living your 'best life' every day. Miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so proud of you - you love change! You just haven't done any in your non-work life for awhile. Face it - you hated working from home and now you have wine, song and a new appreciate for all those little things you forgot you even had. Some times change does a heart good. Even though you're not physically near - none of us are really with work etc. - were remain close in heart and mind and thats what counts! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete